Cookie Notice

As far as I know, and as far as I remember, nothing in this page does anything with Cookies.


Beyond Firebug to NYTProf

Clearly, the problem is in the core application, not the CSS and JS surrounding it. And Firebug only covers the outside of the application.

So I got NYTProf going. A little search gave me the knowledge that calling a page at is the same as calling it with perl myprog.cgi 'foo=bar', which is so good to know, especially since the addition of the NYTProf step is perl -d:NYTProf myprog.cgi 'foo=bar' .

So, I was able to shave off a second by caching. I could have HOP'd it and just used Memoize, but I like having all the details of a program visible so I don't get bit by something I can't see.

    # all lines of code with  %url_cache are new
    # URLs have been changed to protect the innocent.
    my %url_cache ;
    sub get_service_page {
        my ( $pi ) = @_ ;
        if ( $url_cache{ $pi } ) {
            return $url_cache{ $pi } ;
        my $readfile = pi_Readfile() ;
        my $url = '' ;
        my $alt =
        my $attr   = 'SGNAME_PUTATIVE' ;
        my $sgname = $readfile->{ $pi }->{ $attr } ;

        if ( ! defined $sgname || '' eq $sgname ) {
            $url_cache{ $pi } = $alt ;
            return $alt ;
        $url =~ s/XXXXX/$sgname/ ;
        $url_cache{ $pi } = $url ;
        return $url ;

So, simply by holding onto that little piece of information instead of checking against the same pi_Readfile() each time, I was able to go from 2-3 seconds to 1.2 seconds. And, now that I'm seeing it, I could hold onto the data structure I get from  pi_Readfile() the same way I hold onto the cache, and could probably tighten up even more.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to do that in the first place....