Cookie Notice

As far as I know, and as far as I remember, nothing in this page does anything with Cookies.

2009/05/29

Dr. Henry's Emergency Lessons for People!

You know on-paper forms where they have checkboxes? "Did you hear about us from A? B? C? Other?" Then there's a place to write in what "Other" means? That's what I'm doing, except I'm doing it online.








That's the roughness. I'm trying to make a general solution, so I have a span after every select. And here's where the problem comes.

I want to watch every select click. That's easy in jQuery. I want to then check to see if the value is now 'other'. That also is easy.

$( 'select' ).click( function() {
var strVal = $( this ).attr('value') ;
if ( strVal == 'Other' ) {
...
}
else {
...
}
}) ;


What I want to do now is create an input box to put the "other" text in. And if I could do it in an object-y kind of way, I can.


$( 'select' ).click( function() {
var strVal = $( this ).attr('value') ;
var strOther = $( this ).parent().attr('id') + '_other' ;
var strHTML = ''
if ( strVal == 'Other' ) {
$( this ).parent().children('.other').html( strHTML ) ;
}
else {
$( this ).parent().children('.other').html('') ;
}
}) ;


But wouldn't it be better to do things with a more object-like interface? I fill one of those selects dynamically, with code that works like this:

clearSelectBox( document.getElementById('test') ) ;

function fillSelectBox_SOLiD ( obj_sel ) {
var valueArray = new Array( '1 cell' , '4 cell' , '8 cell' , 'Other' ) ;
for ( var i = 0 ; i < valueArray.length ; i++ ) {
var obj_option = document.createElement('option') ;
obj_option.text = valueArray[i] ;
try {
obj_sel.add( obj_option , null ) ;
// standards compliant; doesn't work in IE
}
catch(ex) {
obj_sel.add( obj_option ) ;
// IE only
}
}
}

I would much rather create the input by saying something like var newInput = document.createElement('input') than just writing the HTML, but until I can do something like that in JS, I will keep as is.

Any pointers?

No comments:

Post a Comment